COME TO BEAUTIFUL BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA THIS FALL AND RUN WITH THE HOKIES! It is the tenth year of the Hokie Half Marathon and 5K! It will take place Sunday, October 2nd, 2022. So come join us in October and earn your 10th anniversary Hokie Bird finisher medal and some awesome race swag!
You can register for the 2022 Hokie Half Marathon & 5k on this website or by mailing a hard copy form to RunAbout Sports.
The Hokie Half Marathon is limited to 3000 participants and the Hokie 5K is limited to 1000 runners and walkers.
Race Start Time: 7:30 am for the half marathon and 8:00 am for 5K. The average temperature at the start time: 52 degrees. The average temperature at 10 am: 58 degrees.
Online Registration Closes 09/29/22 at midnight / Paper forms will be accepted until 8 pm on 10/01/2022
Hokie Half Marathon
Price Level One: $85 Before 9/02/2022 (deadline is 11:59 pm September 1st)
Price Level Two: $90 9/02/2022 - 9/25/2022 (deadline is 11:59 pm Sept. 25th)
Price Level Three: $95 9/26/2022 - 10/01/2022 (no race day registration)
Hokie Half No-Frills Option – Only receive Hokie Bird Finisher Medal and finish line food.
NO participant shirt or finisher gift.
Price Level One: $68 Before 9/02/2022
Price Level Two: $73 9/02/2022 - 9/25/2022
Price Level Three: $78 9/26/2022 - 10/01/2022
Hokie 5k (NO Finisher Medal)
Price Level One: $29 Before 9/02/2022
Price Level Two: $33 9/02/2022 - 9/25/2022
Price Level Three: $35 9/26/2022 - 10/01/2022
Hokie 5k (WITH Finisher Medal*)
Price Level One: $44 Before 9/02/2022
Price Level Two: $48 9/02/2022 - 9/25/2022
Price Level Three: $52 9/26/2022 - 10/01/2022
*5k Medal: Same as Hokie Half medal but with 5K
Virtual Race- Hokie Half Marathon and or 5K (includes shipping, Finisher Medal, participant long sleeve shirt, finisher gift and finisher magnet for half marathon and shipping, short sleeve shirt and finisher medal for 5K).
Price Level One: $60.00 ($40.00 for 5K with medal) Before 10/02/2022 (shipping in the US, if outside the US may have to pay shipping difference)
* The virtual option will be from September 25th to October 10th to complete the half marathon and 5K. A photo of your Garmin, Strava, Map My Run, etc will be needed to confirm finish. Virtual results will be listed but in a virtual category. You can email proof to RunAboutSports@gmail.com. If you don't mind sharing a picture of you running or after you finish, we would love to share it with our Facebook Hokie Half Marathon and 5K group on Facebook. Thank you!
Active Duty Military Virtual Race (includes shipping, Finisher Medal, participant long sleeve shirt, short sleeve finisher shirt and magnet)
Price Level One: $56.00 Before 10/01/2022
Online Registration Closes 09/29/22 at midnight / Paper forms will be accepted until 8pm on 10/01/2022
CANCELLATION AND TRANSFER POLICY
Registration fees are NON-REFUNDABLE. We do allow the transfer of your bib number as long as it is done by September 21st, 2022.
You can also defer your registration for one calendar year, but must email us (firstname.lastname@example.org) at least 1 week before the event date (Sept. 24th, 2022).
NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE.
HOKIE HALF MARATHON AWARDS
Overall Male and Female Awards:
1st place male and female: $500
2nd place male and female: $300
3rd place male and female: $200
Age Group Awards - Awards will be given to the top three male and female half-marathon finishers in each of the following age divisions: 15-18, 19-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-over. Age group awards will be mailed once results are official.
Half Marathon Finisher Awards – All finishers of the Half Marathon (including No-Frills option runners) will receive a Hokie Bird Half Marathon finishers medal.
HOKIE 5K AWARDS
Hokie Bird medals will be given to the top three in male and female finishers in each of the following age groups: 8 & under, 9–12, 13–17, 18–23, 24–29, 30–34, 35–39, 40–44, 45–49, 50–54, 55–59, 60–64, 65–69, 70 & over.
Only those who register for the 5k finisher medal will receive one upon completion. (If you would like a medal for the 5k, you must register under the option that includes the medal)
Age group awards will be mailed once results are official. Please allow 3-4 weeks for delivery.
PACKET PICK-UP POLICY
- There is very limited packet pick-up on race day - at bag drop off.
- Please make the appropriate accommodations to ensure you will be able to pick up your packet on Saturday between noon and 8pm at the University Mall (801 University City Blvd, Blacksburg, Follow the signs)
- You are allowed to pick up a friend’s packet as long as you have a note from them to do so and a copy of a picture ID with their full name.
BIB NUMBERS AND TIMING CHIP
The racing bib numbers will have a disposable timing chip and each bib will have the participant’s name or nickname on their bib. We will print your preferred name on the bib number exactly as it is written on the registration form. Race management will not allow anything deemed inappropriate to be printed. Registering past September 15th will not ensure that your name is printed on your bib.
THE RACE NUMBER MUST BE WORN ON THE FRONT OF YOUR SHIRT AND NOT COVERED IN ANY WAY WHEN YOU FINISH.
There will be a small expo at the University Mall (801 University City Blvd, Blacksburg) where packet pick up will also occur. The Expo will run from noon until 8pm, the same hours during which packets can be picked up. The Expo will have a wide range of merchandise for sale, including a variety of Virginia Tech gear and apparel and all things running!
RACE DAY PARKING
- Beginning at 5:30 am on race day, buses will shuttle athletes and spectators from Virginia Tech’s Chicken Hill parking – across from Lane Stadium – to the start/finish area. They will run every 10 minutes.
- Parking passes will be distributed at packet pick up.
- Please remember if you have a VT yearly parking pass you are NOT allowed to park here as it is for visitors. Parking lot B is about 1.5 miles from the start/finish area.
DROPPING OFF A RUNNER
- If you are dropping off a runner, you can drop them off at the Virginia Tech Airport. It is directly across from the start/finish area. Please follow all directional signs when dropping off. The VT Airport is also the location buses will be dropping off and picking up athletes and spectators.
COURSE TIME LIMIT
Please remember the Hokie Half Marathon has a four-hour time limit for participants. The course will close at 4 hours (about 18:20 pace per mile). Those who did not finish within the four-hour cut-off can still participate in the post-race food and festivities, however, we will not give out any finisher awards to those who did not finish on time and course support may not be available after 11:30 am.
The 2022 course will be the same as 2021. The course is certified by USATF.
Complimentary entries are available for the 2022 Hokie Half Marathon for anyone achieving the following Half Marathon standards on a certified course within the last year:
Men: Sub 1:09:00
Women: Sub 1:22:00
COMPLIMENTARY HOTEL ROOMS
A limited amount of complimentary hotel rooms will also be available on a first-come-first-serve basis for anyone achieving the following Half Marathon standards on a certified course within the last year:
Men: Sub 1:06:00
Women: Sub 1:18:00
**Contact race director James DeMarco if you have met these standards for more information: email@example.com